Saturday, January 22, 2011

Snow and Mamata

Snow is a big part of my life now in Ithaca, but it was a rarity before I came here. I would see it only in movies. The first time I saw snow for real was in the Himalayas, the summer before I came here. The snow-capped peaks in the distance looked majestic.

I also had my first experience of claustrophobia there. At night, in the tent, under three heavy blankets, it was pitch dark. I couldn't breathe. I wanted to shout but couldn't because we were two families together and I didn't want to embarrass myself.

I woke up Maa automatically.
And












It was fine in the end.

---------------------------------------------------

PS : written during a writing workshop(Light of Winter, Ithaca Jan '11) when Snow was the thing on everyone's mind and I'd liked how a mother had noted down the colour of her children's eyes as a part of a sight memory exercise. I gave the worst possible reading of the piece though :((((

Also, the way got I over the panic was by moving to the cot next to the tent opening. The part where the tent met the ground, there was a crack and I could a thin line of grey-blue moonlighted ground. I looked at it for a while and regained composure.

No comments:

Post a Comment